Durable Medical Device Packaging for Demanding Applications
Tyvek® 1073B provides the highest level of protection, making it the ideal choice for medical device packaging that requires high strength and superior microbial barrier.
DuPontTM Tyvek® 1073B has the highest strength of all Tyvek® styles for medical device packaging.
High-Strength Protection for High-Risk Products
Made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE), Tyvek® offers exceptional protection against damage for sharp or heavy products, outperforming more fragile alternative materials, such as medicalgrade paper. Its strength helps Tyvek® 1073B protect and maintain the sterility of high-risk medical products, such as artificial hips and heart valves.
In addition, Tyvek® 1073B is compatible with a broad range of manufacturing and sterilization processes, and is a superior microbial barrier, to help preserve sterility during both shipping and storage.
Tyvek® 1073B provides a range of advantages for medical device manufacturers. These include:
- High durability to withstand impact during shipping and storage.
- A superior microbial barrier that helps medical packaging start sterile and stay sterile.
- Compatibility with many sterilization processes.
- Clean peel and low risk of packaging contamination.
- Production under ISO 14001, offering recyclability and support of sustainability programs.
- Reliable, highquality supply
Unlike other materials, Tyvek® 1073B and all Tyvek® styles for medical device packaging are compatible with the most common methods of sterilization, giving medical device manufacturers greater flexibility. These include:
- Ethylene Oxide (EO)
- Steam (under controlled conditions)
- Low temperature oxidative
To meet growing global demand and ensure continuity and flexibility of future supply, DuPont is transitioning manufacturing of Tyvek® 1073B to production lines using the latest flash-spinning technology.
Learn more about medical packaging transition.
DuPont™ Tyvek® medical and pharmaceutical packaging styles comply with the materials portion of ISO 11607-1:2006(R)2010 and meet all the acceptable performance criteria for bio-compatibility and other regulatory requirements.
Information & Ideas
- Tyvek® vs. Medical-Grade Papers
- Guidelines for Printing on Tyvek®
- Start Sterile, Stay Sterile
Tyvek® Retains Sterility after Aging
After terminal sterilization, Tyvek® can maintain the sterility of medical devices for at least five years, enhancing the sustainability of a medical product because it can be stored for long periods with no need to re-sterilize or re-package.
- Low Lint Means Reduced Risk
- Low Risk of Device Contamination