DuPont™ Vespel®SP-21D Thrust Washers
Thinner, lighter Vespel® SP-21D thrust washers replace all-metal needle bearings in a new 7-speed automatic transmission for rear-drive vehicles
Good mileage, compact design and fun to drive!
Occupying almost the same space as a 5-speed automatic transmission, JATCO Products’ new 7-speed transmission creates an exciting driving experience for luxury-class, rear-drive vehicles. The automatic transmission’s superior response time delivers both exciting acceleration and a quiet, leisurely experience depending on the driver’s desire – while still improving fuel efficiency.
Reduced size, weight and number of parts
Vespel® SP-21D thrust washers are thinner and lighter than comparable metal thrust needle bearings, helping to reduce the automatic transmission’s overall size and weight. In addition, Vespel® SP-21D thrust washers can rotate directly against the aluminum housing, allowing a reduction in the number of parts and an easier assembly process.
Materials Selected and Why
Superior resistance to heat and wear. Capability of direct contact with aluminum components
Vespel® thrust washers have demonstrated many years of superb reliability in transmission applications due to:
- The lack of melting point means the washer will not melt
- A high limiting PV value (an indicator of resistance to wear) which is superior to other engineering resins
- Low-wear rates when used directly against lubricated aluminum components, even in the presence of contamination or foreign matter in the oil
- Custom-designed oil grooves on the washer surface allow precise control of oil flow, further enhancing resistance to wear
- The ability to easily form an oil film on its surface which creates a very low coefficient of friction
Click here to view a PDF of the case study.